The most loved up day of the year is nearly upon us and while it should be a day of romance and appreciation, sometimes it can also be quite stressful.
Whether you are only now just realising that most of her favourite restaurants are already booked up that evening or you are the only singleton out of your friends and want to wish the day away, sometimes this day is a little overwhelming. However, it’s never too late to have some fun things planned, whatever your relationship status is!
It’s a classic for a reason. While you do have to book in advance for a lot of places, don’t let that stop your search. To make it even more special, keep it as a surprise and maybe even bring along some flowers (or a personal gift you know they will like if the gushy love gifts aren’t their thing).
Potential options: The Shard, The Rumpus Room, Rosa’s Thai, La Bodega Negra, Hakkasan.
This doesn’t just have to be a play but it could be a comedy show, a musical, The Secret Cinema…These are a great way to spend a special evening and there are lots of restaurants that do pre-theatre menus for a decent price.
Potential options: The Vault Festival, Julius Caesar at ‘The Bridge Theatre’, ‘The Grinning Man’.
This can always be a fun evening where you are able to focus on each other while doing something different!
Potential options: Wine Unearthed – London Wine Tasting.
Also read: Elite Singles review
With Valentine’s Day meant to be a relaxing time to celebrate each other, how better to spend this then in a spa away from life’s busy chaos?
Potential options: Champneys, Sense Spa at Rosewood London.
There are surprisingly a lot of affordable art exhibitions all over London that can be a perfect way to indulge in some culture while finishing up the evening with some romantic drinks.
Potential options: The Tate, The National Gallery, Saatchi Gallery, The Serpentine Gallery.
While we will admit it is a little too cold for a romantic picnic in a park, there is still something very special about exploring the beautiful areas of your city with a loved one. You can have an evening stroll or maybe even find somewhere to stop off for dinner.
Potential options: Little Venice, Whispering Gallery at St Paul’s Cathedral, Hampstead Heath Pergola and Hill Garden.
Gift ideas for all
Buying a gift doesn’t have to be stressful nor does it have to be over the top – the best part about Valentine’s Day is that the evening and how you spend it is what’s important. However it doesn’t hurt to throw some extra love in there too…
• Special chocolate gifts
• Tickets to a show or event they love
• Homemade or personalised gift
Also read: London date ideas girls love (part 1)
Single? Who cares
It doesn’t have to be a day you dread or despise – in fact, it’s a great excuse to spend an evening exactly how you want to! If you aren’t entirely sure what that is, we have a few ideas to help you out:
• If you and a few of your friends are in a similar situation on this day, organise something! There are so many beautiful bars that you can dress up and make an effort for that you will be surprised at what a lovely evening this will turn into.
Potential options: The Sky Garden, OXO Tower, Oblix.
• Feeling alone on this evening? Do something about it! There are lots of fun Speed Dating events all over the UK that can be a great laugh when you go with friends and you never know who you might meet!
Potential options: Empire Lounge, Jewel Bar London, Singles Game Night at The Jam Tree.
• There’s nothing better to take your mind off the day then a fun, boozy Pub Quiz with your mates! Plus, it’s a chance to show off all of that unnecessary knowledge you’ve been storing.
Potential options: Toynbee Studios.
• An evening of take out, your favourite movies and homemade cocktails? If that doesn’t sound like a perfect way to spend a night in we don’t know what does.
Potential options: Choose movies based on your favourite actor, binge watch a Netflix box set, stay away from Fifty Shades.
So, whether you are spending the day with a loved one or have singleton plans, this day can be one of the most enjoyable and exciting times of the year, you just have to make sure you plan it right.